Thursday 23 January 2014

Who wants a war? I've got a war! We've all got a war for sale!


Only a few weeks into 2014 and I'm veering dangerously towards scepticism about the upcoming onslaught of WW1 commemoration that will descend upon us. But before I do the expected and descend into academic 'what-iffing', I decided to at least try to pen something that might be useful.

So, for what it's worth, last week I published an op-ed in the Ottawa Citizen titled 'The Great War had more than one legacy.' You can read it here.

No doubt the ennui will pass. After all, the Great War history is as fascinating as it is horrible. Amidst all of the partisan bickering, we're sure to find some great material.

Margaret Macmillan's new book on the war's origins is getting good reviews. See the Guardian review here.

For an older take, I've always loved the beautifully stylish Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower 

And I've just seen a reference to this fascinating looking book on the year before the war, Charles Emmerson's, 1913: The world Before the Great War which isn't getting quite as good reviews, but who knows. Here's the Guardian review

No comments:

Post a Comment